It’s super easy during the holidays to get really caught up in the decorating, shopping, events, parties, cleaning up after the parties, and on and on. It’s also really, really easy to forget to take a breath, take care of ourselves, and slow down enough to enjoy the amazing moments of the season before it whizzes by.
So I’ve decided that for me, this year will be a year of authentic holiday joy. I’m going to slow down, nix much of the running around, and spend more time laughing, relaxing, and connecting with friends, family, and myself this year. I’m so looking forward to good times and to creating some fantastic memories. I thought I’d share a few ideas on my radar that might help you to create your own season of authentic holiday joy. Let’s cut down on the draining stuff and add more stillness, love, and happy energy to the holidays! A little holiday candy for the spirit! With me? 🙂
1) This year I’m returning to hand making or baking many of my gifts. Not only does it save cash, but also there is something special about spending time to create something myself for people I care about. Plus, it’s fun and relaxing. And, if you’ve got kids, it’s a great opportunity to do something really cool together. I love making peppermint bark, peppermint cupcakes, and I have a killer recipe for rosemary eucalyptus bath salts (It’s posted on my Facebook page ~ you can find it here).
2) In addition to sending out holiday cards, I plan to spend a day making phone calls to a boatload of people I haven’t spoken to in ages to wish them a happy season and let them know I’m thinking about them & grateful for them. Phone calls, as well as handwritten cards, seem to be a bit of a lost art in this day of texting and emails.
3) Planning to make fitting me time in a top priority ~ even in small doses. Can you say bubble baths? Cup of pomegranate tea in my backyard? An hour to sit in a super soft chair and read a book while Michael Bublé sings “Silent Night” on Pandora? Yes please! Staycation time!
4) Getting rid of more stuff + giving at the same time! Yep – it’s always a great time to reduce the load of stuff that takes up space in our life, but doesn’t serve us any longer. I’ll be spending a day cleaning out closets & filtering through household trinkets to look for things I definitely don’t need, but could be of good use to someone else. Then I’ll drive it all to a local charity where it can find a happy new home.
5) I’ll be making extra time to kick it with friends & family this season. Evenings of popcorn and holiday movies (I LOVE “Elf” & “Love Actually”), home cooked dinners, and lots of laughter with people I love dearly. Time to be together, chill, and just be. This is definitely one I plan to continue after the holidays are long over.
And to YOU ~ thank you so much for taking the time to check out my website and allow me to share my thoughts and ideas with you. My heart is singing with gratitude. Wishing you a holiday season filled with happiness, laughter and love!
Joy & bliss!